What year GMC Sierra HD hoods are interchangeable? You can interchange GMC Sierra HD hoods of different years, including a sierra 2500 hood on a 2016 Sierra 1500.
However, the most popular GMC Sierra hood conversion is the interchange between GMC Sierra and Chevy models. A GMC Sierra HD hood conversion may be the perfect solution for you if you’re looking to add a bit of luxury to your SUV or truck.
Not only will this modification add style and class to your vehicle, but it’ll also provide you with increased visibility and protection from the elements.
GMC Sierra HD Hood Conversion Ideas
HD hood conversion is very popular among heavy truck owners and mod enthusiasts. You can change hoods of Chevy heavy trucks of 99-2002 models on any GMC Sierra. If you want to install a 2004 GMC Sierra HD hood, you must do some extra modifications.
You will have to change the fenders and grill. It is because 2003-2004 Chevy models have different front clips.
The same also goes for Cadillac hoods. You can interchange 99 06 GMC sierra HD hood or change the entire front if you want other brands like Chevrolet or Cadillac.
You can also change GMC Sierra hoods on the 1500s of the same type. One of the most popular mods is to change 99-2006 GMC Sierra HD hoods to 2001-2002 Chevrolet Silverado HD hoods. Many owners also install bumpers and 2003-2006 models to enhance the look.
The Installation Process Of GMC Sierra HD Hood Conversion
Many owners just can’t let go of their truck, and by installing these mods, the old vehicle gets a new life. As GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado trucks are equally popular in the U.S., GMC and Chevy trucks hood swap is the most popular.
Let’s take a look at how we can interchange the hoods of GMC Sierra HD and Chevrolet Silverado.
- Step 1:First, remove the bolt and chips that hold the stock grille of the GMC Sierra HD. Be careful while removing that because many people mess things up.
- Step 2: Then remove the headlights and park lights. Removing these parts are very important for the GMC Sierra hood swap.
- Step 3: You must remove the front bumper from the framer. Use a proper tool for this purpose. Remove the bumper from the frame and also remove the outer brackets. Without removing the outer brackets, you can’t install a new hood.
- Step 4: After removing the front end, you must clean the area properly. Spray a coat of good quality rust that encapsulates paint on the radiator support. Make sure the paint covers every bit of radiator support.
- Step 5: Then, remove the hood and put it on the work table. Mark it with a tie strap to indicate the body lines of the hood.
- Step 6: Use some tape and heavy paper to mark a template. This step is very important to align the template with the Silverado hood. Use the same tie strap to compare the GMC hood and Silverado hood.
- Step 7: Use the template you made from the GMC hood. Transfer the entire pattern to the Silverado hood.
- Step 8: Flip the hood to check if you need to make a patch. You may need to make a patch to ensure the integrity of the leading edge of the wood. Make a paper pattern, fill the gap and double the hood edge.
- Step 9: Cut the pattern from 18-gauge steel. Trim it until it fits perfectly and weld it in the right place.
- Step 10: If you need to maintain a consistent leading edge of the hood, you can use a metal coat hanger. It may sound odd, but it gets the job done.
- Step 11: After welding the rod, find the leading edge in the right shape and install it open the truck. Use primer and self-etching polymer on the work area to prevent any sealant leakage. Check if everything fits properly and install the hood on the GMC.
This Video Will Help You Too!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the dimensions of a GM Sierra truck?
The dimensions of a GMC Sierra truck can vary based on the trim level you choose, but they typically range from 185 to 210 inches in length and 79 to 89 inches in width.
Can you swap the hood from 2500 to 1500?
It is possible to swap the hood from 2500 to 1500, but it will likely not be easy. The hood on a 2500 Chevrolet Silverado is different from the hood on a 1500 Chevy Silverado, so swapping them would require specialized tools and knowledge. It also requires removing part of the truck’s bodywork to get at the hood latch mechanism.
Are all-year Sierra HD hoods interchangeable?
While all Sierra HD hoods are interchangeable, some may be easier to install than others. The easiest hoods to install usually have a screw-on adaptor that attaches the fan and housing. Once you’ve installed the adaptor, it’s simply a matter of attaching the housing to your truck’s grill using screws or bolts.
GMC Sierra HD hood conversion might not be the easiest, but it can make a huge difference in the overall look of your car. You don’t need to do anything major like replacing a whole headlamp unit. All you need is just some time and patience.
We have seen many people who said they were able to finish the job in just one day.
The time and money you’ll spend installing the GMC Sierra HD hood are worth it to make your car shine like a newborn baby. This amazing transformation will transform both your speed and style at the same time.
You Can Also Read:
- A Complete Guide On How To Reset Service Airbag Light On GMC Sierra
- GMC Sierra Blower Motor Problems: Must-Know 6 Reasons
- GMC Remote Start Not Working- 10 Reasons & Easy Fixing Guide For You!
- What To Do If Your Ram Tailgate Won’t Latch? See Every Possible Ways To Fix
There is no twist if you drive your favorite on-road or off-road beast without feeling the performance tune-up.And Stephen is here, the founder of this site, helping you all by finding the answers to your questions regarding your vehicle performance. Stephen has done his masters in ASE from Aims College in Colorado. Now is working with a renowned aftermarket company in Colorado as well as sharing his knowledge through Motormav’s content.